Thursday, January 18, 2007

Microsoft = High Design?


Judging from a review by New York Times' David Pogue, it would appear that Microsoft has realized that visual delight and design pleasure has a place in software design:

"Over all, Office 2007 is much more pleasant to use than previous versions. It seems to be the work of the New Microsoft, a company far more concerned with elegance, beauty and simplicity than the Old Microsoft. Little things like typography, choice of wording and on-screen feedback get more consideration in Office 2007 (and Windows Vista, which goes on sale to consumers the same day)."


Its about time! After years of being envious of Apple's design aesthetic, there might be hope for those of us who are shackled to the PC world.

3 comments:

Andria said...

Pretty green for a gray day.
And the label feature on posts is cool. I want that.

tom clapham said...

I think Genie may have been surprised how prominently interface design considerations came to play when our class was tasked to compare Factiva to LexisNesis last semester...

serena fenton said...

I decided that it was time to explore some more of the options for visual design of the blog (translate - the last template felt too heavy).

This one is "Rounders 4". The design will certainly change again. Years ago, I repainted the dining room about once a month, just to see how the color worked with varying light. This also had the advantage of driving my in-laws crazy. ; -)